What we do
PROGRAMMES & PRIORITIES
A. PROMOTION OF SPORTS FOR DEVELOPMENT (S4D)
AUSC and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ GmbH) (on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)) cooperate on using sport and physical activity as an engaging tool to promote gender equality. Sport for development has the potential to change mindsets and behaviour patterns regarding the discrimination of women and girls. Through value-based exercises children and youth can develop their social competences and be sensitized on gender equality and inclusion.
Guided by the priorities of the AU Agenda 2063, AUSC and GIZ’s Sport for Development in Africa (S4DA) Regional Project aim to strengthen the recognition of S4D as a contributor to the SDGs, particularly regarding gender and youth development.
We are focusing on the following :
- Promoting a more inclusive and gender equal Africa in line with the AU Agenda 2063 aspirations of the Africa We Want;
- Use sport to promote gender equality, transforming stereotypical gender roles, and promoting social competencies;
- Development of S4D guidelines or products (manuals, booklets, e-learning courses etc.) together with AUSC Regions, partner organisations and other stakeholders to promote gender equality, inclusion and safeguarding;
- Support regional initiatives, networks, and platforms that use sports to promote gender equality;
- Support a framework for monitoring and evaluating S4D activities in Africa
B. AFRICAN GAMES
- Coordinating the bidding and selection process for the Host Country for the African Games;
- Coordinating the signing of the African Games Host Agreement between the AU Commission and the Host Country;
- Coordinating meetings for the Technical Committee for the African Games;
- Coordinating meetings between the Technical Committee for the African Games and the Local Organising Committees and inspection visits;
- Coordinating African Games evaluation meetings;
- Capacitating AUSC Regions to hold Regional Games through sports vents management workshops (madam Lina to input on this part)
C. OPERATIONALIZATION OF AUSC REGIONS
- Coordinating Quarterly Meetings for AUSC Regions to share continental sports priorities and synergies;
- Supporting AUSC Regions that are not operational (coordinating meetings to develop and endorse governing instruments)
- Supporting AUSC Regions that are not operational to put in place bureaus to run Regions’ affairs;
- Promote alignment of Member States sports policies with the Policy for Sustainable Development of Sports in Africa.